Santa Monica, CA — Just when you thought we’d reached the bottom of the proverbial barrel with the Arrowverse comes the DC Universe and Disney’s forthcoming streaming service, Disney+.
RIP, Stan Lee. Thank You for everything. Excelsior!
Television is about to get even more crowded with Caped Crusaders! That said, Neftlix just cancelled Daredevil after three successful seasons and both Luke Cage and Iron Fist after two seasons, but look for them to recur on The Defenders (if a deal is reached for a second season, that is). Both series could quite possibly return via Disney+, which doesn’t launch until late 2019.
Here’s who will be vying for your attention on the small screen:
- Daredevil on Netflix. Cancelled even though S3 has been hailed as The Highest Peak of Marvel TV.
- Jessica Jones on Netflix. Renewed for S3 in April.
- The Punisher on Netflix. Jon Bernthal returns for S2 in 2019 in this spinoff from Daredevil. Premieres Jan. 18th.
- Loki Tom Hiddleston is set to reprise his role in a series all his own. Lots of source material from which to draw on the further adventures of the God of Mischief (even though he was killed by Thanos in Infinity War!).
- Vision & Scarlet Witch on Disney+. Jac Schaeffer (Black Widow) scripts and EPs. These supporting characters of the MCU will get 6-8 episode limited series of their own. Paul Bettany and Elisabeth Olsen will reprise their respective Avengers. Interestingly, Vision died at the hands of Thanos in Infinity War, and Scarlet Witch evaporated along with half of the universe’s population, so they both have some explaining to do! Variety Has The Details. Interestingly, Scarlet Witch might be the character who brings in the X-Men to the MCU via a popular comic storyline, The House of M.
- Falcon and The Winter Soldier on Disney+. Hmm. Am unsure about this team-up as I suspect Marvel is going for an Odd Couple/Lethal Weapon buddy comedy vibe in this limited series. Malcolm Spellman (Empire) scripts. I thought the Winter Soldier becomes the new Captain America, so this series puts that theory in doubt. Meanwhile, Sebastian Stan has a 7-picture deal with Marvel. Here Are A Few Potential Storylines, per Nerdist …
- The Gifted at Fox. S2 en route.
- The Runaways at Hulu. S2 now streaming.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at ABC. Is the series still on? Yes, S6 premieres this Summer. Series has been renewed for S7. Joss Whedon EPs.
Uber-Producer Greg Berlanti, Hollywood’s $400m Man, has 14 series on the air. That’s all ya need to know about the DC Universe because Berlanti is King of the World there.
- Gotham at Fox. Final season is likely, and yet Batman prequels are all the rage right now. Weird.
- Lucifer cancelled at Fox but picked up by Netflix for S4. Graham McTavish (Aquaman, Outlander, LOTR) guest stars.
- Swamp Thing at DC Universe. James Wan (Aquaman) EPs this series which premieres in 2019. Len Wiseman (Underworld) directs. Jennifer Beals, Will Patton, and Virginia Madsen set to star. Bodes well.
- Harley Quinn — Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory) voices Harley in this animated series that finds Joker’s ex-girlfriend sharing a prison cell at Arkham with Poison Ivy. Here’s the TRAILER.
- Doom Patrol was featured on a recent episode of Titans. Spinoff is forthcoming! Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer star among the voice cast. Here’s Everything You Need To Know, per Rotten Tomatoes.
- Batwoman will make her debut on The CW via the Arrowverse with her own spinoff to follow if successful. Greg Berlanti, EPs. Ruby Rose stars as the lesbian superheroine. David Nutter directs the pilot.
- Stargirl — Based on the comic created in 1999 by Geoff Johns to honor his sister, this series centers around a high school sophomore and a group of teen superheroes. Justice League Jr.! Greg Berlanti EPs, natch. The Wrap Has The Casting Details…
- Titans — Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, and Geoff Johns executive produce the flagship series for DCU, which premiered 10/12 and is already renewed for S2. EW Gives Titans A Rave.; $8/month subscription will test the mainstream appeal but fanboys are sure to show up to hear Robin exhort, “Fuck Batman!” This series is not for kids. Here’s the Trailer for a Free Preview
- Pennyworth at Epix — Bruno Heller (Gotham) tells the prequel story of Bruce Wayne’s butler, Alfred. Jack Bannon (The Imitation Game) stars in the 10-episode series. Nerdist Has More Info Here.
- Rogue One (Disney +) Diego Luna stars in a prequel espionage-themed series set before those pesky Bothans steal the plans for the Deathstar which is destroyed in Star Wars IV. Expect the Empire to be quite healthy in this one.
- The Mandalorian (Disney+) Jon Favreau EPs this action/adventure following a lone gunslinger (Boba Fett anyone?) in the Star Wars Universe. Pedro Pascal (Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Game of Thrones, Narcos) and Nick Nolte in talks to star. Timeline is post-Return of the Jedi. The jury is definitely out on this one. Favreau Explains It All, via THR.
- Watchmen (HBO) EP Damon Lindelöf (The Leftovers, Lost) returns to the graphic novel for his adaptation eschewing Zack Snyder’s dreadful feature, and it looks like there’s a new vigilante in town. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross of Nine Inch Nails scored the music for the pilot which was directed by Nicole Kassell (The Leftovers). Check out the series on I N S T A G R A M for clues!
- American Gods (Starz) The long-awaited S2 premieres in 2019 (March 10th). Ricky Whittle returns as Neil Gaiman’s hero, Shadow Moon, but EPs Bryan Fuller and Michael Green were fired. Guest star Gillian Anderson will not return as the goddess Media, but has been replaced by New Media. Clever. I loved this novel and enjoyed the first season. Fingers crossed it’ll be just as good. Here’s the T R A I L E R for S2. Looks good!
- The Magicians (SyFy) Lev Grossman’s enthralling trilogy adaptation beings S3 (or is it S4?) Never dug the casting here. Ho Hum. Musical episode!
- Preacher (AMC) has just been picked up for S4. Dominic Cooper stars in this successful adaptation of the graphic novel. Seth Rogen EPs.
N E X T U P:
When Is Too Much TV Just Too Much?!