Santa Monica, CA — My list of TV series to watch/binge just keeps longer and longer. Not good. There’s just too much good TV to watch! Damn the British and their well-made sex comedies!
I love TV, but I feel overwhelmed by the amount of it. Don’t you? Watercooler Television is a thing of the past because who has got an hour just to hang out and talk about what they’re watching?!
I sense we have reached peak Peak TV. As a result, I am watching less and less TV, and I don’t appreciate the pressure of trying to keep up!
Plus, the cost factor: You’ve got your $100/month cable bill (well you do if you are over 40 years of age, I am a cord cutter of many years past), plus your Netflix account (too many shows to watch at $12.99/mo.!), and your Amazon Prime account ($59/yr.), and your CBS All Access pass ($5.99/mo.), your impending Disney+ account (priced to sell like hotcakes at $6.99/mo.), and your recent subscription to DC Universe ($7.99/mo.) and to Shudder ($4.99/mo.), and on and on… oh, and don’t forget your new Apple TV account (price TBD) because your phone is about to be bombarded with Ads for those wonderful new series that Reese Witherspoon demands we watch. Wait, there’s more! Comcast/NBC/Universal is launching a streaming service as is Warner Bros., so that’s two more subscriptions to factor. Jeez!
That’s $150.00+/month, $1,800.00/year! And counting…..
It’s just too much.
Here’s what waiting in my Queue:
- Sex Education (Netflix) Gillian Anderson stars as a mother who is also a therapist to a teenage son going through puberty in this 8-episode British comedy. Here’s the very engaging and funny T R A I L E R for S1.
- After Life (Netflix) A friend from Cornwall recommended this series to me and now I know why: Ricky Gervais creates and stars as a widower trying to get his life back on track. Here’s the delightfully melancholy T R A I L E R for S1.
- Yellowstone (Paramount Network) Kevin Costner stars in cable’s #1 drama which is about to premiere S2. I need to catch up. Here’s the very tension-filled T R A I L E R for S2.
- Schitt’s Creek (Pop) An actor friend raves about Eugene Levy’s series on Pop which is about to conclude its run with one more season. Bravo, Catherine O’Hara!
- Riviera (Sundance) S2 premieres soon of this guilty pleasure from writer/director Neil Jordan who takes the family soap opera to new highs (and lows). Julia Stiles stars. Fun Fact: I discovered this series while on a Delta flight. The first two episodes had me hooked. This is the Riviera, darling. People get away with everything. Here’s the fantastic T R A I L E R for S2.
- Supernatural (The CW) 15S to watch! Not gonna happen anytime soon.
- Good Omens (Amazon) premieres May 31st and I am really looking forward to this 6-episode limited series adaptation of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s book about an angel and a demon who try to thwart the Apocalypse when the Anti-Christ goes missing. It’s a comedy. I need a good laugh. Great cast, too: David Tenant, Michael Sheen, Jon Hamm, and Frances McDormand.
- What We Do In The Shadows (FX) This show makes me laugh. Or, at least the promos do. I haven’t had the time to check it out yet. I love Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement so much. Here’s the stupidly funny T R A I L E R for S1.
- American Gods (Starz) S2 I have been reluctant to check out the second season after showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green were fired following an outstanding S1. Plus, Gillian Anderson and Kristin Chenoweth did not return as well. I love love the book and will catch up eventually. Reviews for S2 were decidedly mixed.
- A Discovery Of Witches (AMC) Okay, this is the must-see TV series for me right now. I have read each novel in Deborah Harkness’ All Souls Trilogy as well as the most recent entry, Time’s Convert. I love this world and think this 8-episode series is impeccably cast: There’s someone from Sherlock, from Doctor Who, from Da Vinci’s Demons, and Downton Abbey. It’s a good sign that this series which premiered to big numbers in the UK has already been renewed for S2 and S3. Here’s the moody, romantic and action-packed T R A I L E R for S1.
- Knightfall (History Channel) S2 Mark Hamill joins the cast of the Templar Knight drama which is EPd by Jeremy Renner. I’m in!
- Berlin Station (just cancelled after S3) on EPIX I loved S1 of this political thriller set in Berlin as it was so reminiscent of one of my favorite films, Three Days of Condor. Richard Armitage and Richard Jenkins are terrific.
- Fleabag (Amazon) S2 of the sexy comedy series starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge just premiered, and Anthony Stewart Head (Buffy) is raving about it on Twitter, so I’m in. Here’s the T R A I L E R for S2.
- Law & Order: SVU (20 seasons!) on NBC. Dear, God, really?! Perhaps, if I find myself holed up in a cabin one winter, I’ll do a deep dive. Until then, Mariska Hargitay, you’re just gonna have to wait for me to catch up.
- Killing Eve (BBC America) Just renewed for S3, this drama starring Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer is the closest thing to watercooler talk I’ve experienced lately as it seems everyone is talking about this show.
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (The CW) This much beloved, niche series suffered from a terrible title that just kept me away for most if not all of its run. Now concluded, I will one day have the time and the inclination to check it out. All those musical numbers!
- Russian Doll (Netflix) Amy Poehler EPs this Groundhog Day-esque drama noir starring Natasha Lyonne. People love it. I watched the first episode and not the rest of S1.
What’s on your list of TV Series To Binge? Lemme know in the Comments section, please. I don’t want to miss out. The pressure to keep up is tremendous. Aaarrrrgh!
N E X T U P:
Spring Is Here. And So Are My Seasonal Allergies. Let’s Road Trip!